Friday, June 29, 2012

Review - Foster #1


This comic has been sitting around my pile for far too long.  Now I have finally found time to read it.  When I first heard the concept of this creator owned book from Brian Buccellato I was immediately interested.  So, when he told me where to get it I jumped at the chance and ordered it up.


In this issue, as with most #1s, we need to be introduced into a world we may have never seen before.  In this case, that would be Eddie Foster and Ben who live in Vintage City.  We are caught right up to speed with Foster learning that he is an alcoholic war veteran that has had his share of problems.  Ben a young boy that lives in the same apartment building as Foster is the other main character. It seems Ben has not had of childhoods thus far either and things do not seem like they are going to start getting better any time soon.

Buccellato writes a great story where his characters shine through. We quickly realize that the world he has created is far from the “everything will be alright” sense that you get from superhero comics.  In this world, everything seems like a possibility.  While his characters seem flawed, these flaws make them more compelling.

At first look, Noel Tuazon’s art was a tough sell for me.  His style is definitely not, what I usually go for but that was not a reason not to read the book.  Fortunately, for me Tuazon’s style did sink in and helped give the world the dark and gritty feel to complement the story.

Creator owned comics are some of the best out there and often do not get enough coverage.  Brian Buccellato gives readers a compelling start to what I hope to be a long running series.  Without even going to deep into the Dweller aspect of the comic, I have the feeling things are going to get crazy and violent. I have issue #2 sitting next to me right now and cannot wait to start reading it.

Overall, I will give Foster #1 an 8/10.  With great characterization and a compelling story line, this series should last for a long run.  

If you want to find this comic check out Brian Buccellato’s website http://www.brianbooch.com/ and order yourself a copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment